Saturday 5 July 2014

June Wrap Up

This will hopefully be a monthly feature on this blog, showing you what books I have read each month as sometimes I don't have enough to say to grant a book a whole blogpost and so I think this will help counter this problem. 
Unfortunately I had a reading slump this month which greatly impacted on how much I read. I also read a lot of graphic novels this month, which I have never done before and I am now on the hunt for some really good graphic novels. I also completed my (extended) Goodreads challenge of reading 45 books this month.

Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgings  
I did a full review of this book, which you can read HERE, but beware it is the third book in a trilogy so there will be spoilers if you haven't read the previous books. I would recommend
them though, I wouldn't say that they are the best books I have ever read but I did think that the world is very interesting and the characters have their moments.
4/5 stars

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan [graphic novel]
This is the first graphic novel that I have ever read and in fact I didn't even know that they did Percy Jackson graphic novels and seeing as I am a huge fan of the series I thought I would give them a go (read my Percy Jackson series review HERE), they are a little pricey but I think that they are a really nice addition to my Rick Riordan collection. I would say that Annabeth looks a little bit strange but you can just tell the amount of work that has gone into each picture is amazing and some of the artwork is incredibly impressive. I would definitely recommend but make sure that you have read the books before hand as you cannot rely on just the graphic novel alone as it does miss some things out, not a lot but there are still things missed out. 
4/5 stars

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman [graphic novel]
This was a really bizarre novel and almost a month after reading it I can't really gather my thoughts on it, I did try though in this review HERE to be honest I wouldn't recommend this book until the price has gone down, there was something that made me very uncomfortable about it that I cant quite put my finger on. Also, try as I might I just cannot get into the Neil Gaiman hype.
*I got sent this book by Headline*
3/5 stars

Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan 
Considering how much I loved the Percy Jackson series it was a bit ridiculous that I hadn't read any of the follow on series. I did enjoy this book, obviously because Riordan is a fantastic writer and I will always appreciate whatever he writes. It was really brilliant to see an expansion of the world but still seeing old favourites from the original series but also with different and new characters. I really liked Jason and Leo, I did find Piper slightly frustrating but not enough for me to not like her. unfortunately I was reaching a reading slump whilst reading this and so it seemed to take ages to finish despite the fact that I was enjoying it and so that is why I don't think I loved this, I am excited to continue on with the series though and am not letting my reading slump put me off!
4/5 stars
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan [graphic novel]
My thoughts on this graphic novel are much the same as the Lightning Thief, I received this for my birthday and read it almost immediately. The artwork continues to be brilliant and also Annabeth didn't look quite so strange in this one! 
4/5 stars

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Oh wow. This book. Was incredible. I must be honest I like The Mortal Instruments (read my series review HERE and City of Heavenly Fire review HERE)  but was never in love with it and didn't really understand the hype but this prequel trilogy, oh my goodness, it is amazing!! It is all that was good with TMI but even better, because the characters are not painfully annoying! Honestly I really don't understand how Cassandra Clare wrote City of Lost Souls at the same time as this, I really don't.
5/5 stars

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
I had been wanting to read this book for so long that when I got it for my birthday it was one of the first books that I picked up. I must admit I am slightly disappointed, I am writing a review for it so I will link it once it is up.
3/5 stars

Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan [graphic novel]
Again the same thoughts with this graphic novel as with the previous two, I really enjoyed reading it and would recommend to those Riordan fans but if you haven't read the Percy Jackson books, read them first and read these second as they are good companions. I also don't understand why they only go up to the third book :( I want more!!
4/5 stars
I started Clockwork Prince by Cassandra but didn't finish it in time for it to be included in this wrap up! June was a very good month and an average reading month, hopefully July will be even better as I finish school and go on holiday this month. There is also the BookTubeAThon which I really would like to take part in but I might be too busy I'm not too sure yet. 
Stay posted for my TBR for July, which should be the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment