Sunday 3 March 2013

Downton Abbey Series 1-3 REVIEW

I started watching Downton on the recommendation of a friend about 6 months ago. She let me borrow the DVDs of the first and second series and I was hooked from the very first episode. Its like nothing I've watched before and I know from experience that the viewer range from about 10 onwards, its evoked many very, very passionate conversations between myself and my two Nanas. 
*spoilers*
The show is essentially follows the lives of a rich family named the Crawleys and their staff who live in Downton.

Series One opens up with the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and develops from there it finishes with Robert Crawley announcing that World War 1 has been declared. Series two picks up in the midst of of the war and Downton is quickly effected by the troubles of war with death, sacrifice and having to let Downton be used as a recuperation unit for the injured soldiers, Lady Sybil also becomes a nurse and starts to grow independence and falls in love with the chauffeur, Tom Branson. The Christmas episode sees Lady Mary finally get the real engagement that everyone has been waiting for with Matthew Crawley air to the Downton estate, this episode is without a doubt one of my favourites. Series three shows how life has changed after the war and puts poor Mr Bates in jail because of his manipulative ex-wife it also sees the end of Lady Sybil who tragically dies during childbirth, and finally, the Christmas episode of this series sees Lady Mary giving birth to a baby boy and Matthew dying which did put a downer on Christmas but you can see a further review of that here. I am now awaiting for series four which I'm sure will bring even more laughs and tears.


Not to even begin with all of the drama with the staff of Downton as that's a whole different story, but one thing for sure Downton is definitely not a show to be missed.
9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment