Sunday 29 September 2013

Paper Towns- John Green BOOK REVIEW

Paper Towns
John Green
Published: October 16th 2008(hardback), September 22nd 2009 (paperback)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: YA, Contemporary

The problem with John Green books is that they are so overrated, don't get me wrong I love John Green as a person, but as an author he's certainly not my favourite. Paper Towns follows the same sort of way as all of Green's other books, in that there is obviously a girl who is so completely original and amazing and mysterious and a boy who is so 'out of her league and spends his entire life thinking about said girl': it gets a little boring and a little repetitive.

I don't like Quentin or Q as he is referred to in the book, throughout it all I just couldn't get any emotion towards him other than 'urgh, shut up'. He is selfish towards his friends and is deluded into thinking that they should disregard their lives to look for missing Margo, despite the fact that it is around the time of their prom and graduation. Obviously if someone is missing in real life the pain is unimaginable but this book makes it so unrealistic its stupid. In real life situations (I am using the example real life despite the fact that I know it is supposed to be a fiction because I think Green is trying to make this book seem as close to real life as possible) the police would be doing everything that they could seeing as Margo has been missing for several days. However, in this book no one other than Q seems to care, his infatuation with her is worrying and I'm pretty sure no teenage boy would ever feel this obsessed with another girl his own age.

Q mocks his friends just because they want to go to prom and because they want to discuss their girlfriends (oh, shock horror). I don't know I just really didn't like Q at all, I just know that if he was an actual person I'd really dislike him.

The most redeeming part about this book was the ending. I loved the road trip with the Q, Radar, Ben and Lacey, it was entertaining, funny and lighthearted. Due to this part, its the only thing stopping me from giving this book 1 out of 5 and instead probably a 3 out of 5 (which is being generous).

It wasn't the worst book I've read, definitely not, but it certainly wasn't the best and I wont be reading it again for a long, long, long time. It was boring, seemed to go on forever without really having any benefit. This is probably the worst in the John Green books that I have read, my favourite being Looking For Alaska, this one just lacked that certain something that made me want to read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment