Friday 28 June 2013

The problems with Twilight (book/film review)

Before I start, I understand that some people may not like the stuff that I like and love Twilight; but that's okay, I respect that you have a different opinion to my own and so you in turn should do the same. Right so now that little snippet is out of the way, on to more pressing matters, like why Twilight is so bad.

Lets start with the books since that is where this whole franchise started from in the first place. I have read the first and last book (Twilight and Breaking Dawn) all the way through and to be fair the last book is not all that bad, but even the best book in the series has some seriously disturbing things in it, but more on that later. I got about half way through the second book (New Moon) and I had to stop reading: it was so boring. Literally, one of the most boring, unimaginative and downright irritating books I have ever had the misfortune to read. I didn't even attempt reading the third book (Eclipse) because many regard the third as the worst book and to be perfectly honest, I don't see how it could have gotten worse than New Moon, but I was not willing to give it the chance.
Twilight- book one- This is the first book in the saga and its pretty adequate to say the least, it is not extremely exciting but neither is it extremely boring. The storyline is weak and the characters lacking but I didn't stop reading which was the main thing.
New Moon- book two- This was the worst book and coincidently the worst film in the series. It took everything in me to get halfway through the book and then I had to give up: something, I hasten to add I never do when it comes to books. The fact that Bella basically had a mental breakdown because Edward left her is utterly ridiculous; Bella is just pathetic and shows how much of a weak character and role model that she is. Take Hermione for example, she continued to fight alongside Harry to find the Horcruxes despite Ron walking out. She, unlike Bella, didn't completely breakdown and become suicidal- trying to kill herself by jumping off a cliff just to catch sight of her beloved Edward.
Eclipse- book three- Cannot comment because I have not read it. What I will say however, is that I know someone who used to be obsessed with Twilight and even she did not read Eclipse, so what does that tell you?
Breaking Dawn- book four- As I said before I didn't mind it, in fact I will probably re-read it eventually, you know when I'm desperate. The main problem with this book is the whole Jacob part: sorry, but he actually imprinted on a baby? What? Why would you even think that that is okay to write? It's creepy, she's a baby, am I the only one who thinks that this is really, really weird and just such bad writing? It really brings down the book as a whole which could have been a fairly sufficient ending to a very, very average saga.

As for the films, well that's a whole new kettle of fish, the cast is appalling and the acting (well if you can call that acting) is rubbish, unmoving and just one dimensional. Robert Pattinson who plays Edward Cullen just looks bored throughout all of the films; he just looks very stiff and I know that this is partly to do with the fact that he is playing a vampire but after reading the books I was so surprised to see how different Edward is in the books compared to the film. I am very much as they say (and I do cringe as I type this, fear not) on team Jacob in the films but certainly team Edward in the books. Its no secret that Pattinson isn't exactly Twilight's biggest fan and to be honest I think (obviously money aside) he regrets being part of this franchise because he will henceforth be known as the 'sparkly vampire' at least he will be in my eyes. Kristen Stewart: well, what can I say about her without being completely rude...probably nothing, so I will leave my opinion about her to your imagination. However, I will give her the fact that she is a lot better in the last film (Breaking Dawn part 2) and if she had done all of the films to that standard then the films as whole probably wouldn't have sucked (ha ha) as much. The rest of the cast, I can see no major problems with and are all fairly decent actors.
A huge problem for me as a viewer about the films is the shocking 'thing' that was supposed to be Renesmee, I know its hard to get a baby to be so animated and she is supposed to be very clever for her age but seriously, it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen. They could have just got girls who looked similar to play the child at different stages of her life because after all we don't all look exactly the same as we did as a baby, but apparently this child does...
I know this is probably the most negative review that I have written, but even I cant deny the success of the franchise, despite me not completely understanding why when there are such incredible books out there that haven't had half as much recognition. However, I don't think that given 5 years it will have made that much of a lasting impression, sorry Twihards.

No comments:

Post a Comment