Monday 15 December 2014

THE WINNER'S CURSE by MARIE RUTKOSKI

The Winner's Curse
by Marie Rutkoski
Published: March 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: YA, fantasy
"Winning what you want may cost you everything you love.
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. 
Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 
Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart." -Taken from Goodreads 

I must admit that what attracted me to this book was the cover, I think it could be one of my absolute favourites but after reading the description I knew it would be a book that I would enjoy. It certainly didn't disappoint. Usually when a book has a lot of war strategy in it I tend to turn off and get bored but although there is a lot a strategy it is done so well that you don't feel bored, or at least I didn't. 

The only thing that bothered me about this was the slave, Arin, he was just so unlikable and arrogant and to be honest the relationship between him and Kestrel was just really strange and not at all likely considering the situation. I understand that the author wanted us to really like Kestrel and the fact that she is so gentle towards her slaves is supposed to make us feel like she is badass by going against the crowds, but in reality she cant be that against it for the fact she has so many at her house. So the way that she lets Arin take over and act as though he is the king of the castle just seems slightly pushing it. I felt like he was the one in control, which when you consider her position in society it would be normal for her to be outraged at being trodden on, especially when he continues to embarrass her in front of her friends, surely someone who has lived a privileged life would have something to say about that. 

I didn't mind that Kestrel was so indecisive because to be honest, I think that is what makes her character so realistic, how many teenagers do you know that have no idea what they do want but they know exactly what they don't want? Exactly.  

The world building is exceptional and there wasn't any points in the book that I was confused with what was going on, which is pretty good going for a first book. There was very subtle foreshadowing in this book that I appreciated and it was obvious the effort taken to write this book which could have only been done by such a skilled author.

I felt like the writing flowed really well, the plot although sometimes slow at the start got incredibly interesting and dangerous. This is the first book in a trilogy, I believe, and I think that it has done a really great job at setting the scene and I am eagerly anticipating the other books, because if they continue at the standard of this book, it will be fantastic.

4.5/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment