Tuesday 9 April 2013

(A few) Favourite fictional characters from BOOKS

I read a lot- does that shock you? I didn't think so, but because of this I have gained a lot of favourite characters that in all honesty shape the way I think. The worst thing for me is reading a book when you have absolutely NO connection towards the characters and you just really don't have any feelings towards them- hatred or love; absolutely nothing. *WARNING this post might contain spoilers*



First and for most my absolute favourite character of any book I have read is of course Harry Potter- the boy who lived. (Harry Potter written by JK Rowling, seven books in total and made into 8 films). Now harry is a character that is extremely flawed and so far away from perfect; but even so he is so special. He not only defeats the most evil wizard of all time (Voldemort for those of you that haven't read the book: that is if there is anyone who’s not read the books) but he is the most fiercely loyal and just boy that I have seen. He would do anything for his friends, despite his horrible upbringing he still gives and receives love in many different forms; he stands by his friends no matter what. Harry, although fighting on the good side, he still feels the bad inside him and knows he has flaws: which inspires one of my favourite quotes from Sirius "We have all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the power we choose to act on. That's who we really are". I could go on forever talking about Harry but I won't, I’ll save that for another day.



Another favourite from Harry potter is Hermione Granger- the brightest witch of her age. Hermione is the ultimate role model for a girl like me; she shows that actually having brains is a good thing and defiantly should not be played down just because you get made fun of. She is also a huge bookworm like me. However, Hermione isn't just about books and cleverness (notice the quote ;-) but she has so much bravery and fight in her which is of course what makes her a Gryffindor and not a Ravenclaw. What I also love about her is that even when Ron leaves in Deathly Hallows she remains behind because she knows that is what is right and what needs to be done despite her feelings; it shows she doesn't need a man to live her life. 



*by the way I have just decided upon writing this post that a lot of my favourite characters are from Harry Potter, so therefore I will make a separate post soon talking more in depth about them so as not to labour on one point, but for the sake of freshness I will move on to other books for now* 




Next up is Katniss Everdeen- the girl on fire. (From The Hunger Games written by Suzanne Collins, three books, first already made into a film and the second in creation as we speak). Katniss, again is a very, very flawed character, who probably isn't a great person but she is someone who reminds me as a fighter, she reminds us that no matter what happens as much as you want to go and cry you can't you must carry on and fight because people are counting on you; although I know that (or at least hope) I will never have to fight in something like The Hunger Games but even in the mundane thing such as life you still have to soldier on and she is a fabulous role model for that. 



Peeta Melark (from the Hunger Games) is someone who shows that love is all you have, throughout everything he does he remains in love with Katniss despite her feelings being for the Games for the first book and its only when Peeta has been turned into a mutt is when Katniss realises that actually she does love him. Peeta goes through a hell of a lot but in the end his love still remains and this helps him remember who he is before the Capitol messed around with him. He also puts every other character above himself, which is such a good trait to have.


Another favourite is a semi minor character; Jocelyn Fray (The Mortal Instruments written by Cassandra Clare, 5 books in the series, the first film is currently due for release in August). Now for the first three books (that's as far as I'm up to currently) she is pretty much not involved in the story because she is in the hospital seemingly unconscious, however, she is so brave and clever, that as Clary finds out more about her my respect for Jocelyn grows. She not only managed to escape from the villain of the story but brought up her kid away from the Shadow Hunter world so that she wouldn't have to go through the same pain as her. She lost her entire family but still remains a mother for Clary, I don't want to say too much because I don't want to ruin it and of course I’m still not 100% sure what happens to her as I haven’t finished the series, but seriously Jocelyn is one badass mother. 


Charlie (from the Perks of Being a Wallflower written by Stephen Chbosky, recently been made into a film) is a favourite for completely different reasons to the others because Charlie is a hero in the 'real' world, he had a mental illness and is so extremely awkward it is painful but he carries on and keeps fighting the illness that has been eating him up inside and for me that is the bravest thing anyone could do. I know a lot of teenagers relate to Charlie and that's why the book is so successful, because truly being a teenager sucks and eventually we all feel as if we don't want to be here and although most get over it is still hard and anyone who fights an illness like this deserves to be on this list. This book also inspires one of my favourite quotes "I am both happy and sad and still trying to figure out how that can be".



As you can see from the type of characters on this small list of a few characters, I value bravery and love amongst anything else. But so as not to bore you I will stop for now, but expect more posts like this in the future, because of course, as I continue reading this list especially will expand.


Within the next few posts there will be a post on my favourite fictional charactersfrom films and TV and the Harry Potter one I promised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment